Water damage is one of the most common forms of damage to property.
Whether it's from a busted water pipe, sewage backup or flooding, water damage can wreak havoc on your property if not addressed immediately. While you likely already know the importance of proper water mitigation following a water loss, there's still a lot that may surprise you about water damage situations. Here are some essentials you should know about water damage remediation:
- The more polluted the water, the worse your situation. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) classifies water into three categories in its S500 Standard:
- Category 1: Generally sanitary water
- Category 2: Significantly contaminated water
- Category 3: Grossly contaminated water
- Mold can be debilitating to your home's structure and to your health. And, it doesn't take long to begin to grow. Mold needs only five perfect conditions to grow in 48-72 hours:
- Food source
- Prime temperature
- No/minimal air movement
- No/minimal light
- Fast action is crucial. In order to begin processing an insurance claim, your agent needs to know about a water damage situation immediately, what happened, how it happened, the source of the water, etc. The longer you wait, the worse the situation gets -- not to mention, your chances of having a "sudden damage" claim approved begin to dwindle.
The category of water on any loss will dictate how it's restored and how much can be salvaged
Emergency Water Damage Restoration Services
Immediate response is DKI's specialty! One of our water damage restoration experts will arrive on scene within two hours of receiving your call and get to work, inspecting the property for safety concerns, developing a structural drying plan, pumping and/or extracting all water, setting up the appropriate equipment to dry the affected area, etc. DKI contractors use industry proven water mitigation and drying techniques to efficiently remove moisture from deep within the floor, walls and even the hardest-to-reach areas of the home. It's this fast response time, proven water damage mitigation techniques and cutting edge equipment that help result in lower repair costs and/or limited contents damage.
For more information about water damage restoration and the benefits of hiring a DKI restoration contractor, contact DKI today.