On Wednesday, May 11, the historic Derrin House in Avon, CT sustained serious fire damage. The Derrin House was used as a public museum by the Avon Historical Society to showcase what life was like on a 18th century New England farm. Members from the society had been restoring the home to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the Derrin family acquiring the property in 1766. This event was scheduled to take place on June 12, just weeks after the fire.
This fire allegedly started from oil-soaked rags left out from a staining project the day prior. A passerby had spotted smoke coming from the house, and though the local fire departments were able to contain the fire to save the structure, mitigation and restoration services were still required.
After spending 10 weeks to determine the requirements to restore the building to its pre-loss condition, the Avon Historical Society hired DKI member company, American Integrity Restoration (AIR), to work on the demolition, mitigation, repairs and restoration of some of the artifacts. AIR began work on August 15.
The AIR team began with an inspection, then interior and exterior demolition. Once completed, structural and glazing work followed. Immediately after structural repairs, the house was treated to eliminate any presence or smell of smoke. Selected artifacts were relocated to the AIR facility for cleaning and restoration.
To clean the rooms that sustained the most damage, AIR used dry ice to remove debris and applied ozone treatments for odor removal. Next, everything was vacuumed, cleaned and deodorized with a thermal fog.
Throughout the entire process, AIR’s team of experts maintained strict processes to preserve the historical significance of the house. They surpassed the cleaning expectations and the original timeline, allowing the Derrin House to re-open to the public on Sunday, November 20, 2016.