FIND A DKI CONTRACTOR:
GET HELP NOW:
877-533-0210

How to Avoid Common Fire Damage Scenarios

There are many different common causes of fire damage scenarios. We at DKI have put together a list of them and how to avoid possible fires in your home. Some weather conditions can cause residents to not take proper precautions, like smoking indoors during the frigid winter or not paying attention to their air conditioners in the summer. If you have had fire damage in your home, you’ll need professional fire damage restoration services. Call DKI immediately to schedule your initial consultation. We’ll help you restore your property and eliminate smoke odors.

Take Extra Care in the Kitchen

Kitchens are where most fires begin due to varying temperatures, open flames, stoves, ovens, microwaves, and more. This, in combination with water from your sink or dishwasher, can cause a litany of fire-related issues. Pots and pans can overheat or catch fire due to grease. In the event of a grease fire, NEVER put water on it. Extinguish the flame by covering the pot with a lid, using baking soda, or a Class B fire extinguisher. Don’t worry about making a mess. The most important aspect is stopping the fire from spreading and keeping safe. Remember to pay attention in the kitchen and watch what you’re doing. Never leave open flames unattended.

Furnace and Heating Systems

Portable heaters are great for cold winters. They’re convenient and let you stay toasty in your home. However, they come with a necessary level of responsibility. Always keep your heaters a good distance away from anything that can catch fire, such as laundry, clothes, curtains, furniture, blankets, walls, and even yourself. Make sure you schedule an HVAC specialist to inspect your furnace before every winter to ensure proper ventilation and operation to avoid breakdowns and possible fires.

Electronics and Other Equipment

Appliances such as toasters, televisions, hairdryers, computers, and more can pose a risk for electrical fires. Never plug in and turn on an appliance that has a frayed cord. Also, do not overload outlets with additional adapter plugs and extension cords. Outlets are made to only handle a certain amount of power to them. Plugging in additional or damaged appliances can cause an overload and shocks that can lead to a fire in your home.

Practice Safe Candle Habits

You may be surprised at the number of fires caused by forgotten, knocked-over, or neglected candles in homes. Never leave candles unattended in any room of your house. Keep lit candles away from flammable items and fabrics. If you have children or pets in your home, make sure all of your candles are out of reach and aren’t sitting on something that your child or pet could knock over.