When your personal belongings and keepsakes are damaged by water and mold, the question of what to keep and what to throw away is about more than just monetary value – it’s also about sentimental value. Learn what you must throw away and what you might be able to salvage after your belongings are damaged by water or mold.

What to Throw Away

Porous items, such as carpet, linens, drywall and other similar items, that you find submerged in floodwater or covered with mold most likely need to be thrown away.

Non-valuable papers should be discarded after water damage. For irreplaceable items, such as your parents’ wedding album, consider freeze-drying. Increase the likelihood of success by placing paper items in the freezer as soon as possible.

Food that has come in contact with floodwater or mold should be thrown out, including canned goods. Contaminated kitchen appliances may need to be replaced since cleaning costs often exceed replacement costs.

In short, if your belongings have been wet for more than 24 to 48 hours or have signs of mold, even if they have dried out, you will probably need to discard them.

What You Can Save

Non-porous items don’t absorb water, making them relatively straightforward to clean. These include plastic, glass, tile, laminate, metal, and solid or sealed wood. Antibacterial soap and diluted bleach are effective methods for disinfecting hard surfaces.

If caught soon enough, you may be able to salvage clothing by laundering it as usual. This should wash out flood contamination and remove mold, but if the clothes have been discolored, laundering won’t help. Leather is difficult but possible to clean. Rely on a professional for the task.

Electronics and appliances that have experienced some exposure to moisture and mold may be restored if they weren’t fully submerged. However, water may still have damaged the electrical circuitry, even if all moisture and mold is removed. Relying on professional service is the best way to recover water-sensitive objects.

As a rule of thumb, if any items – porous or non-porous – have been wet for less than 24 to 48 hours and don’t have any detectable signs of mold growth, they may be salvageable.

How Personal Property Restoration Works

Before disposing of anything damaged by water or mold, we recommend consulting with a property restoration specialist to discuss what may be salvageable. DKI Services provides contents pack-out and storage, cleaning, deodorizing and more to restore as many of your belongings as possible to their pre-loss conditions. Our skilled technicians use specialized technology and procedures that restore the appearance, smell and structural integrity of your personal items as effectively as possible.

Salvaging personal property after water or mold damage is a job for the professionals. To ensure the best possible results, reach out to DKI Services as soon as possible after water or mold damage occurs. As mold remediation experts, we can also address stains and smells in your home. Call us at 877-533-0210 today for more information.


Link to https://www.dkiservices.com/blog/2017/09/28/don-8217-t-throw-it-out-property-restoration-might-be-an-option/