After a major storm, the first thing you want to do is relax and enjoy the beautiful weather. However, this is also the best time to check your home for storm damage, even if there wasn’t heavy rain or hail. The presence of strong winds can still weaken and destroy your roof. Follow these easy steps to inspect your roof after a disaster:
- Take a walk around the property and examine the roof structure. Wind damage is more likely to cause damage to the edges of the roof rather than the middle section.
- Examine gutters, chimneys, ventilation pipes and other exterior fixtures for damage.
- The first surge of strong winds might not cause major damage, but repeated exposure can compromise sturdiness of the entire roof. Always replace missing shingles or patch up damaged areas as soon as you notice them to prevent further damage.
- Check the ceiling or attic in your home for water stains. Brown/yellow stains and moisture spots are the most visible signs of water damage.
- Seek a professional damage restoration contractor to inspect and restore the area, if needed.
If you have experienced major roof damage from a storm, DKI Services has you covered. Get in contact with DKI’s storm damage team day or night for wind damage restoration services.