It’s easy to neglect fire safety when you’re focused on planning holiday parties, hosting houseguests, and setting up all those decorations. However, this is the most important time of year to be diligent about fire safety because holiday lights, candles, and Christmas trees increase the risk of house fires in December. Follow these holiday fire safety tips to keep the festivities fun and safe.
Holiday Party Preparation for Fire Safety
- If you have not recently checked your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, do so now. Batteries in smoke detectors should be changed once a year, and the device should be replaced every 10 years. Due to the extra risks involved with holiday décor and cooking, it is recommended to test your detectors again before your guests arrive.
- Prepare an fire escape plan and inform your guests of the plan upon their arrival, so everyone knows what to do in case of an emergency.
- Keep hallways and exits clear of obstructions in case you and your guests need to evacuate.
- Lock up matches and lighters to keep them away from curious children.
- Ask any guests who smoke to step outside before smoking.
Holiday Cooking Safety
- Clean your oven to remove stuck-on food and grease before baking.
- Never leave cooking appliances unattended.
- Check on food in the oven regularly.
- Keep small children and pets outside of the kitchen.
Holiday Candle Decorating Safety
- Store matches and lighters in a locked cabinet where children can’t access them.
- Place lit candles on a flat, sturdy, heat-resistant surface.
- Set candles at least 12 inches away from combustible materials, including curtains, furniture, and paper decorations.
- Keep small children and pets away from lit candles.
- Blow out all candles before leaving home or going to sleep.
- Consider using battery-operated candles for a warm, flickering glow without the fire hazards.
For more safety tips to keep your holidays merry and bright, check out our blog: 7 Holiday Safety Tips.
DKI is North America’s largest disaster restoration company, with over 200 locations nationwide. If you experience a fire emergency this holiday season, our fire damage restoration services will get things back to normal as quickly and cost-effectively as possible. Call us today at 877-533-0210 or contact us online to request emergency restoration services in your area.