What is Deodorization?
Lingering odors are a common concern after a fire or flood. If you’re struggling with this problem, learn about why you might need deodorization services from DKI.
Sources of Odors After a Disaster
When you think about recovering from a fire, you might picture cleaning ashes and soot from the surfaces in your home or business. Likewise, you may assume cleaning up water damage only entails moisture extraction and structural drying. While these services are certainly necessary after a disaster, fire and water damage often require deodorization as well. Here’s why:
- Smoke is particularly difficult to remove after a fire because the particles embed themselves in the walls, carpet, and other porous surfaces. Baking soda may remove slight odors, but you may also need professional deodorization services.
- Stagnant water develops a putrid odor as submerged organic material starts to rot. If the water came from a backed-up sewer system or rising floodwater during a storm, it could also contain contaminants and chemicals that emit toxic fumes. This not only smells horrible but could also threaten your health.
- Mold can start growing on organic materials 24 to 48 hours after a flood, sometimes generating an unpleasant musty odor. Inhaling these spores can also cause sneezing, runny nose, shortness of breath, and other allergic reactions in people with mold sensitivities.
The Deodorization Process
Most home and business owners can mask foul odors caused by smoke, stagnant water, and mold, or they can bring in fresh air to mitigate the smell. Unfortunately, these efforts are only temporary and fail to remove the source of the odor and potential health threats.
If you notice residual smells in your home or business after a flood, fire, or another disaster, rely on the experts at DKI to freshen things up. Deodorization is just one part of our full-service restoration and deep-cleaning services. Our process helps remove allergens, pollutants, and other irritants, along with identifying hidden issues, such as water damage and mold growth behind the wall or under the floor. Here’s how deodorization works:
- We conduct an in-depth analysis and inspection to determine the source of the odor.
- We recommend the best method for removing the odor in question and preventing it from returning.
- We remove soot, smoke, and other pollutants from the air and deep-clean all surfaces to eliminate the source of the smell, using state-of-the-art equipment and approved chemicals.
- We avoid dangerous chemicals that could harm you, your children, or your pets.
- We provide the most timely and cost-effective solutions possible to leave you with clean, odor-free air while on your property.
DKI has over 200 locations nationwide and nearly 50 years of experience restoring businesses, homes, and other structures following a disaster. For long-lasting deodorization and 24/7 availability for emergency restoration services, please call DKI at 877-533-0210 or contact us online today.