FAQs About Water, Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration
If your home has been damaged by water, fire, or smoke, you probably have questions about the restoration process from DKI. Find the answers here.
- How long does it take to clean up water, fire, or smoke damage? Every case is unique. The time it takes depends on the extent of the damage and how many rooms are affected. We will be able to provide you a better estimated timeline upon a site inspection. We also allow each of our customers complete transparency throughout the entire restoration process to keep you aware of the scope of work, status and expected completion date.
- What is the cost to repair water, fire, or smoke damage? The degree of damage greatly impacts the repair cost. We would be happy to provide you with an estimate when we assess your property.
- Who is responsible for the home restoration costs? The property owner is responsible. However, we recommend calling your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance provider as soon as you discover the damage. Detail the situation, file a claim, and find out if you’re eligible for reimbursement. We would be happy to coordinate things with your insurance provider on your behalf.
- Can I clean up fire and smoke damage myself? We strongly recommend hiring a professional for this kind of work. Cleaning up a fire-damaged house puts you at risk of smoke and fume inhalation and structural collapse. Our experienced team has the proper equipment and expertise to deliver a job well done.
- What can I salvage after a fire? If you took anything with you as you evacuated the house, keep it in your possession. Avoid re-entering the building until fire damage restoration is complete. Until then, we’ll carefully assess the condition of your belongings to help you decide what personal property restoration you want to pursue. Everything is documented and accounted for during this process.
- Is it possible for water damage to be hidden? While common signs of water damage include stains on the walls and ceiling, puddles on the floor, and visible mold growth, hidden leaks aren’t as obvious and may go unnoticed for a long time. Be on the lookout for a lingering musty smell, sounds of running water, and an unexplained increase in your water bills.
- How does water damage restoration work? We utilize a process called rapid structural drying. This involves water extraction, airflow, dehumidification, and temperature control to restore your home. We can also mitigate mold growth, a common side effect of water damage.
- How do I hire a restoration company? DKI is comprised of an elite network of disaster restoration specialists across North America. Find your local DKI contractor or call us at 877-533-0210 to be put in contact with one nearest you.
Contact DKI for more information or to move forward with the restoration process.