FIND A DKI CONTRACTOR:
GET HELP NOW:
877-533-0210

10 Kitchen Hazards that Create a Recipe for Disaster

You may think of the kitchen as a relaxing place for family and friends to gather. However, the heart of your home can also be more hazardous than you probably realize. Here are the 10 most common kitchen hazards and how to avoid them.

  1. No fire extinguisher: You hope you never need to use it, but having a fire extinguisher in your kitchen is a proven way to keep a small blaze from growing out of control. If you don’t already have one, get one! Then, make sure every family member knows how to use it.
  2. Dirty oven: Charred food or grease clinging to the oven walls could ignite while you’re baking, resulting in a damaging kitchen fire. Clean your oven regularly, and always turn the appliance off before leaving home.
  3. Greasy range hood: Running the exhaust fan helps vent heat and fumes outside while cooking, but the accumulated grease is a fire hazard. Keep the range hood clean and change the filter regularly.
  4. Hot surfaces and cooking oil: A hot stovetop, boiling water, and sizzling oil can cause burns and scalding, especially when curious children are around. Turn handles away from the edge of the stove and use the backburners when possible to reduce these hazards.
  5. Flammable items near the cooktop: Potholders, paper towels, dishcloths, food boxes, and wooden utensils can all catch fire if placed on or near a hot cooktop. Keep them a safe distance from the burners at all times, even when they’re turned off.
  6. Loose clothing and hair: Dangling your long sleeves and hair over a hot stove is risky. Roll up your sleeves, tighten your apron, and tie back your hair to keep these flammable objects out of the way.
  7. Unattended cooking: Always remain in the vicinity while cooking on the stove or in the oven. Kitchen fires can spread rapidly, and if you’re not nearby to extinguish it, the consequences could be dire.
  8. Mold growth: The kitchen is a common place for mold and bacteria to thrive. Whether it’s a grubby sink, dirty sponge, spoiled food, or leaky pipe, microorganisms are bound to start growing. Deep clean your kitchen often to keep unhealthy mold growth at bay.
  9. Plumbing leaks: Not only does standing water under the sink invite mold growth, but it can also damage the structural integrity of your home. Check for leaks often, and have them repaired as soon as possible.
  10. Overloaded electrical circuits: The kitchen likely draws more power than any other room in your house. Beware of plugging in too many small appliances on the same circuit. If the breaker trips, consolidate your cooking efforts or relocate some items to reduce the load.

If the hazards in your kitchen lead to any mishaps, call DKI Services for help. We repair damage caused by fire, water, and mold to restore your home to its original condition. Contact us today to learn more about our restoration services or to request our assistance.