FIND A DKI CONTRACTOR:
GET HELP NOW:
877-533-0210

Don’t Let Your Halloween Go Up in Flames

Oct 29, 2014

By: Chelsea Haley, DKI Ventures, LLC

Halloween can be a ton of fun, resurrecting witches and zombies or dressing as your favorite superhero! Without proper precaution, though, Halloween can also be a dangerous time of year.

Did you know?

  • The United States sees an overall increase of fires on Halloween with 15,500 fires and $92 million in property loss per year. (U.S. Fire Administration)
  • Out of 900 reported home fires each year, decorations are the first thing to catch fire. And, two of every five of these fires are caused by a candle. (National Fire Protection Association)

Here are some tips from DKI to ensure you have a fun and safe holiday:

  • Keep your Jack O’ Lanterns away from steps, doorways or flammable materials, such as drapes or decorations.
  • Don’t overload your electrical outlets with lighting decorations.
  • Note that crepe paper and cornstalks are highly flammable. Keep these away from any heat sources.
  • Keep all exits clear of decorations.
  • Purchase flame-resistant costumes, wigs, accessories, etc. Avoid long trailing fabrics.
  • Keep children and pets away from candles and electrical outlets.
  • Ensure your walkways and porches are well lit and free from obstacles.
  • Repair any damaged or wobbly handrails and steps.
  • Consider using battery-operated candles or flashlights to light your Jack O’ Lanterns.
  • Test your smoke alarm, or replace its batteries.

And, don’t forget to have FUN!!

all_tips