Oct 29, 2014
By: Chelsea Haley, DKI Ventures, LLC
Halloween can be a ton of fun, resurrecting witches and zombies or dressing as your favorite superhero! Without proper precaution, though, Halloween can also be a dangerous time of year.
Did you know?
- The United States sees an overall increase of fires on Halloween with 15,500 fires and $92 million in property loss per year. (U.S. Fire Administration)
- Out of 900 reported home fires each year, decorations are the first thing to catch fire. And, two of every five of these fires are caused by a candle. (National Fire Protection Association)
Here are some tips from DKI to ensure you have a fun and safe holiday:
- Keep your Jack O’ Lanterns away from steps, doorways or flammable materials, such as drapes or decorations.
- Don’t overload your electrical outlets with lighting decorations.
- Note that crepe paper and cornstalks are highly flammable. Keep these away from any heat sources.
- Keep all exits clear of decorations.
- Purchase flame-resistant costumes, wigs, accessories, etc. Avoid long trailing fabrics.
- Keep children and pets away from candles and electrical outlets.
- Ensure your walkways and porches are well lit and free from obstacles.
- Repair any damaged or wobbly handrails and steps.
- Consider using battery-operated candles or flashlights to light your Jack O’ Lanterns.
- Test your smoke alarm, or replace its batteries.
And, don’t forget to have FUN!!