Be Prepared When Disaster Strikes
Sept 18, 2014
By: Chelsea Haley, DKI Ventures, LLC
In observance of National Preparedness Month, here are a few tips to prepare your place of business for an emergency disaster.
- Where do you live?
- What kind of natural disasters have occurred in the past?
- How did these events affect your location?
Make a Plan
- Know your evacuation routes throughout your building.
- Hold drills pertaining to natural occurrences (fires, earthquakes, etc.)
- Train your employees to know which roles each person has in the event of an emergency.
Create a Kit
- Try to assemble in advance. Some significant services might not be available for some time after an emergency. Obtain items to help you survive during these outages.
- Some necessary safety equipment to include in your kit:
- Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Alarms
- First Aid kit
- Fire Extinguisher
- Food and Water Supply
- Flashlight (don’t forget the batteries)
- Dust Masks
- Emergency Contact Information