Be Prepared When Disaster Strikes
Sept 18, 2014
By: Chelsea Haley, DKI Ventures, LLC
In observance of National Preparedness Month, here are a few tips to prepare your place of business for an emergency disaster.
Emergencies can strike at any time, and can range from fires and floods to tornadoes and earthquakes. It’s important to be prepared – know your region and have a plan.
- Where do you live?
- What kind of natural disasters have occurred in the past?
- How did these events affect your location?
Make a Plan
- Know your evacuation routes throughout your building.
- Hold drills pertaining to natural occurrences (fires, earthquakes, etc.)
- Train your employees to know which roles each person has in the event of an emergency.
Create a Kit
- Try to assemble in advance. Some significant services might not be available for some time after an emergency. Obtain items to help you survive during these outages.
- Some necessary safety equipment to include in your kit:
- Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Alarms
- First Aid kit
- Fire Extinguisher
- Food and Water Supply
- Flashlight (don’t forget the batteries)
- Dust Masks
- Emergency Contact Information